Přejít na obsah

Signal strenght - how low is acceptable?

Návštěvník Belbody

Doporučené příspěvky

Návštěvník Belbody

Hello everybody,

sorry for writing in English but it will be worse if I will translate in cz with google.

I want to ask about the signal strenght of UPC digital signal. I installed the package almost 1 month ago, the option with CAM on the TV.

I remember when it finally worked (the technician came and removed the filter from UPC box in the basement) I had something like 80% strength and 100% quality on all frequencies.

Few days ago I just checked the signal level out of curiosity.. and I noticed that the highest is 66% and the lowest 50%. The quality is still 100%.

What happened? For sure nothing changed in my home, the cable is in the same position as before.

These 50% signal strenght is normal? What is the acceptable level?

All the channels play perfect.. only once I noticed some few blocks on the screen on one evening..

Odkaz ke komentáři
Sdílet na ostatní stránky

Návštěvník Retiree

The signal strength is very relative value, which it is not possible to compare with data on other receivers. The values of the signal strength may vary, even to different sets of the same manufacturer.

Important is the only signal quality, it should be at least 90% of the measured value, better and higher. If there has been a significant decrease in signal strength a few days before, very likely is somewhere on the cable connection – small movement of the cable, to be such an imperfect connection to take effect.

Check the perfect connection of the connectors on both ends of the cable. Until you're 100% sure that the problem is not in your wiring, call (or send an e-mail) at the Customer Service Centre of the UPC.

You can also look into the interface of your modem, what are the values of the signal strength and the signal to noise ratio (SNR). The signal strength should be between -10 dBmV and +10 dBmV and SNR of at least 35-40 dB for download on all channels.

Odkaz ke komentáři

Návštěvník Belbody

Ok, thanks for complex answer.

I am sure the connection is good, my cable is not the best on the market, actually it was pretty cheap, 100kc for 10m with already built connectors bought from Globus. I don't even think the central wire is solid copper, looks too flexible.

I have 100% quality on all frequencies, so it should be OK. I never experienced any problem with the signal, the TV has an option to store every "falling" of the signal, and nothing is recorded on that log.

I checked the SNR on the modem and is 38 - 39 dB on all frequencies on download, so it should be fine. :)

Thank you Retiree. :)

Odkaz ke komentáři

Návštěvník Retiree

Your cable is really not the best on the market. The central wire is stranded copper, because it is flexible. The entire cable with connectors called "Účastnická šňůra" (subscriber line/cable) and usually has not good connections with the connectors…

I recommend to buy the necessary length of shielded cable (75 Ohm) and F-type connectors on the diameter corresponding to the diameter of the cable and, where appropriate, reduction of F on the IEC connector.

I attach one of the many video tutorials on the installation of the F connector.

Přikládám jeden z mnoha obrázkových návodů na montáž F konktoru

Odkaz ke komentáři

Přidat se ke konverzaci

Přispívat můžete okamžitě a zaregistrovat se později. Pokud máte účet, přihlaste se a přispívejte pod Vaším účtem.
Poznámka: Váš příspěvek vyžaduje před zobrazením schválení moderátorem.

Návštěvník
Odpovědět na toto téma...

×   Vložit jako upravený text.   Obnovit formátování

Pouze 75 emotikon je povoleno.

×   Váš odkaz byl automaticky vložen.   Místo toho zobrazit jako odkaz

×   Váš předchozí obsah byl obnoven.   Vyčistit editor

×   Nemůžete vložit obrázky přímo. Nahrajte nebo vložte obrázky z URL adresy.

• Kdo si právě prohlíží tuto stránku   0 registrovaných uživatelů

• Žádný registrovaný uživatel si neprohlíží tuto stránku
  • Vytvořit...